Android App Quick Review gives you short impressions of an app, because you are in a hurry and don't have time for long drawn-out reviews!

Ads Here

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Jelly Bean Update Was a Disaster... Sticking with ICS for now

To make a long story short, my attempt to update to the official JB was a disaster. Due to the way I had rooted and removed bloatware, the OTA update will NOT update my phone at all. Their install script expects to find all the existing bloatware and whatnot there, active and NOT disabled and not updated / merged into ROM. And it can't deal with my current setup.

And so far nobody had unpacked that file to allow for easier update. Instead, the only way to use that update is to nuke the phone, reinstall ICS fresh (using procedure that I highlighted before), then allow the JB OTA update.

I chose NOT to do that, as I don't want to go without my phone for THAT long. (That process will take HOURS)  and there's a very good chance I'll lose root access, thus unable to restore my apps and data.

So right now I've settled on using an ICS based ROM called Icarus Remix (aka Stripped). It's still Motorola's official Bionic ICS 4.0.4, but cleaned up, and debloated, and with a few mods that borrowed a few elements from Samsung's Touchwiz (including S-Voice, the licensed version of Vlingo). I may be able to get Google Now for ICS running on this.

I tried the CyanogenMod 10.1 Jellybean port but it's quite buggy.

Stay tuned.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment